[Kde-games-devel] Support for i18n in data files

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Thu Aug 24 09:34:03 CEST 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 09.11, Ian Wadham wrote:
> Does anybody know if either KDE 4 or Qt 4 have any plans to
> support translation of strings in data files (i18n or tr)?
>
> Levels in games can contain titles and hints.  There may also
> be a future need for translation in picture galleries, files for
> context-dependent help, data-files for educational apps or
> in interactive tutorials on mainstream apps.
>
> At present, the only method of getting your strings translated
> seems to be to copy all your strings, without changing a single
> character, into a pseudo-program file (one that is not compiled
> and linked), which mainly contains repetitions of  the pattern
> 'dummy = i18n("yet_another_string");'.  Otherwise, for small
> numbers and sizes of strings, you can embed them in your
> program, as well as in the data, as KSokoban does.
>
> Any ideas? Ian W.

This is a big issue in kde-edu.  I suggest you write a mail to that list or
join #kde-edu on freenet IRC and discuss it.  I'm not really sure how they
solved it or I would have told you here.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |