[Kde-games-devel] KReversi and KMahjongg

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Thu Aug 17 16:28:52 CEST 2006

> Why do we lose antialias? QPainter is able to draw antialiased now.

It depends on how we crop the cached pixmaps, in order to maintain the
current code, which calculates and draws the shadows independently.
Intra-tile antialias will of course be kept, but I don't think the
external border and shadow will be fully antialiased. But there is
probably a way to change this with a simple mask. Or maybe it will
simply work if we change the code to dry the shadows as lines, instead
of pixmaps. Or maybe it just works, I have to try it. Something to be
researched, good thinking.

Humm... these subtle art things are difficult to explain, specially in a
foreign language. But do you have GMahjongg installed? If you have, fire
it up and examine the tiles. They probably (it is my guess) use the same
approach, with a pixmap cache, and svg content pre-rendered inside the
tileset. Notice that the outline of the tiles is not antialiased. This
is only visible at close range, since it is a straigth line (minus the
corners.) The best way to spot it is to look at the point where one tile
obscures another, the corner is not antialiased.

It is really a *tiny* issue, but designers can be picky about these...
Anyway, I like to at least try to see all possible pitfalls before I
dive into the actual coding. Sometimes it pays off. Sometimes you are
bitten (is this even a word?) at the end by something you can not
control, like the current performance issue we (Ian and me) are seeing
with QGV and some levels in KGoldrunner.

Regards,
Mauricio