[Kde-games-devel] Using SVN in kdegames

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Fri Aug 11 16:08:55 CEST 2006

Just use svn:// on anonsvn.kde.org, and svn+ssh//login@ on svn.kde.org.

> 2. Do I have to give the full URL with *every* command?

No. Inside the repository, svn is smart about where it is.

> 3. Do I have to check out the *whole* of kdegames, or
>     can I do:
>        svn co -N https://ianw@svn.kde.org/home/trunk/KDE/kdegames
>        cd kdegames
>        svn co libkdegames
>        svn co mygame

This could work, never tested it with kdegames.

>     (I am working on a dialup line and running short of disk space.
>     Also, I do not need writeable access to every KDE game's source
>     and do not wish to risk accidentally damaging another game.)

Little disk space is problematic with SVN since each file is checked out
twice. Future versions of SVN are thought to fix this, so you can then decide
to either invest disk space or give up comfort with svn diff/revert/...

> 4. If I have to check out all of kdegames, do I have to keep running
>     "svn update" on the whole thing and re-compiling all of it every
>     time I am ready to commit a one-line change?

No, you can do local updates within one repository. You can however not switch
single directories to other revisions (at least not easily). That's one of
the differences to CVS.

> 5. When I do a commit, can I do:
>        cd kdegames/mygame (or even cd kdegames/mygame/src)
>        svn update
>        # Check for conflicts, compilation problems, etc.
>        svn commit -m "Description of changes"

Yes. Or if you leave out -m, it spawns an editor for you (if $EDITOR is set).

> 6. If so, does SVN somehow "know" what URL to use and that
>     it requires a password from me?

Call 'svn info', it stores all the infos in .svn directories. This is similar
to the 'CVS' directories, but also contains the file copies.

> 7. I have discovered a bug in "mygame" (KDE 3 version).  Should
>     I report it to bugzilla and get a number assigned, then put that # in
>     my -m message?  Or should I just fix the bug without reporting it?

If you can fix it in time, there's no need to file a bug IMHO.

> 8. I understand that I will have to check out and commit the KDE3.5
>     branch of "mygame", when fixing the bug, but what is the proper
>     method (SVN commands) to ensure that TRUNK gets the same fix?
>     I presume there is something better than just hand-editing both
>     versions of "mygame".

Porting can be done with 'svn merge' but across different KDE versions it's
probably more convenient to do it manually.

Josef