[Kde-games-devel] KReversi rewrite

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Thu Aug 10 08:02:07 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 19.09, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> Hi!
>
> While looking on ways to port KReversi to QGV (at the moment it's
> QPainter-based), I found that this transition will bring on many changes.
> I'd say that will be almost a rewrite from scratch.
> And I feel that I'm learned enough to try to do it :).

That's good.  I'd be interested to know what your ideas are, especially
regarding the GUI. (see below)

> I asked Stephan Kulow about this and he gave me a green light :).
> Also he said, that original author currently doesn't want to maintain
> kreversi, so it's okay if i'll take it over and do this rewrite.

I'm a bit surprised by this, because I'm currently maintaining KReversi, and
Stephan should know this. I'm actually pretty proud of the fact that KReversi
has zero (0!) registered unsolved bugs, not counting the wishes, most of
which were registered by myself. You can see the ChangeLog file for what I've
done during the last year or so. Unfortunately there were some fixes missed
that are not in there.

That said, I'm currently pretty tied up in KOffice development and don't have
time to give it the attention that it deserves. So if you think you have good
ideas and the time and energy to implement them, by all means go ahead. If
you want to take over maintainership, then we could arrange that too.

Btw, there should really be a file in the top level of kdegames that states
who the maintainers are.

> So, I'll go ahead and create a branch named "kreversi_rewrite" in
> branches/work and start to work on it :).
>
> When I feel it is playable and more or less finished, I'll ask to test it
> and if no objections will be found, merge it back in kdegames.
>
> Well just wanted to keep you informed :).

Good luck, Dmitry!

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |