[Kde-games-devel] a few Mahjongg levels/layouts (Albert Astals Cid)

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Oct 9 18:59:26 CEST 2005

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 kde-games-devel-request at kde.org wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: a few Mahjongg levels/layouts (Albert Astals Cid)

> Hi, as kmahjongg sucky mantainer i don't know what to do with that,
> imho they are too many layouts to distribute with the game

One of the advantages of KMahjongg (and the one which most interested me)
was flexibility, particularly KMahjongg inlcudes a level editor unlike
some other Mahjongg programs.  This means KMahjongg could easily
encouage users to create more levels and include a big collection most
other version of Mahjongg do not have.

I see gnome provide a gnome-games-extras package with extra data files
and perhaps there might be something similar kde-games could consider but
unlike graphics level files compress very effeciently and I think you
could easily include many more if you wanted to.

> and they have to be gpl or something compatible to be added anyway,

You wont have any probelm from me, I prefer to use a license less
restrictive than the GNU GPL especially for what are effectively Data
files and I would like others to be able to freely reuse them (and I would
prefer to get credit for my work but even that is not essential).

> would you like to be added

What I would like best would be for you to include any of the levels you
consider worth including because I think having a big collection of levels
is a relatively easy way to give Kde Games another advantage.  I would
like my name to be mentioned somewhere like in the About dialog if that is
appropriate or in a CREDITS/THANKS file somewhere.

> or maybe just a mention on
> http://games.kde.org/kmahjongg/ is all you want?

My site is not setup for advertising and I'm not interested in generating
more traffice at the moment so I guess I would like it best if we could
find some way for you to copy the files you interested in a keep it all in
the one place.

If you think you might like more levels I will get back in touch if I
create more but more flexibility in the Level Editor would make things
much more interseting for me and allow me to recreate more complicated
levels I have seen in other versions of Mahjongg but which are not
currently possible.

Thanks for taking the time to consider including my levels and thanks to
all of you for your work on KDE Games.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org