[Kde-games-devel] Oware

Albert Astals Cid tsdgeos at yahoo.es
Sun Jul 31 00:09:05 CEST 2005

A Dissabte 30 Juliol 2005 23:48, michaelcollins at ivorycity.com va escriure:
> Okay, I've fixed some of these things. I will address the other
> comments/suggestions one-by-one.
>
> > I've downloaded it, here are some comments
> >  1 - Starting ./kde-oware-1.0.10 and clicking redo does something, it
> > should
> > not as obviously i've not undone anything.
>
> Cool. Thanks. Fixed.
>
> >  2 - Help should use standard kde help
>
> Got a quick link where I can find out how to do that?
Well, it's not *that* easy, you need to convert your html to docbook and then
use code to launch khelpcenter.

Docbook -> http://i18n.kde.org/doc/markup/index.html
I'm not sure how up-to-date it is, maybe it would be easier getting a already
done kde docbook and modyfiing it, i think doc people also will convert your
plain text documntation to docbook if you send it to them. Ask Lauri Watts
about it.

Launch KHelpCenter ->
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdecore/html/classKApplication.html#a17

> >  3 - There are lots of texts without i18n for example
> >     QLabel* aml = new QLabel(QString(" SET WIZARD INTELLECT "),this);
>
> These are defined away to i18n at the beginning of the file if compiling
> for KDE. Qt doesn't have i18n, so I needed this hack to maintain compat
> with KDE and Qt.
Ok, i didn't realize.

> >  4 - Using qmake is not the standard kde build system, you need to use
> > automake as everyone else does
>
> I know. I thought you guys might have some special KDE standard automakes
> that I'm required to use, so I put it off until I commit the source.
Ok.

> >  5 - The game is not installable, this has to be fixed as everything in
> > kde
> > has to be installable, when you make the game installable things like
> > "imgs/owareicon16x16.png" are not going to work so you have to use
> > locate()
> > for that
>
> Thanks. I'm looking into that.
>
> >  6 - The "employment thing" is not going to be accepted
>
> Removed.
>
> >  7 - There is some text cut on "Your Score" in my computer, image
> > attached.
>
> Thanks. Implemented QFontMetrics.
>
> >  8 - I don't see why you have to change user's default font to "arial"
> > for drawing some texts
>
> I wanted to enforce my stylistic vision of the game. That was important to
> me.
Good enough reason.

> >  9 - Using images with "HELP", etc embedded is not going to be accepted,
> > as
> > that is not translatable.
>
> That's okay because everything is available in i18n from the standard menu
> items. Those extra buttons are just for show. They also happen to work.:)
>
> The extra buttons are pure and simple fun because they're African masks.
> And games are better when they're fun. Lets leave 'em.

Could you try to draw the text? I mean, leave the African masks and draw a
i18n'ed text on run time?

> >  10 - There are memory leaks on the code, or at least that is what
> > valgrind
> > tells me.
>
> Tell Valgrind that if he crashes Oware because of memory over consumption,
> I'll send him a six of Budweiser wherever he is in the world.;)
>
> If it leaks, I can't tell. I don't think it does, but I'm open to the
> possibility. However, even if it does, users playing even 100 or more
> games will not notice any appreciable additional memory consumption. I
> mean, it's a game, not a server.
Hmm, i think you don't know what valgrind is, as you assume it's a person :-D
http://www.valgrind.org/
Valgrind is a powerful tool that has a memory leak checker as one of his much
features.

Albert.