[Kde-games-devel] Re: The Oware Wizard

Andreas Beckermann b_mann at gmx.de
Tue Feb 15 17:16:20 CET 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 20:01, michaelcollins at ivorycity.com wrote:
> Hello,

Hi

> I've recently released my Oware game, The Oware Wizard, under the GPL and
> I'm interested in distributing it along with KDE-Games.
>
> Here's the The Oware Wizard url:
> http://oware.ivorycity.com
[...]
> Please consider adding The Oware Wizard to the KDE-Games distribution. I
> think it would be a unique and welcome addition to the already very
> high-quality KDE-Games package.

I have just had a chance to have a look at it (sorry it took so long, but I am
extremely busy these days).
It's a nice game, I like it and I think it'd be a great contribution to the
kdegames package.
However since it is Qt only currently, I guess you have quite some work left,

At an absolute minimum you should port the code to use i18n() for text that is
displayed to the user, so that it can be translated.

The game doesn't have a menu bar and I guess it's your decision if you want to
leave it like that. If you ever want to add one, use KAction for this right
from the start instead of QMenuItem based code.
However you use QToolBar for the New/Quit/... buttons. I am not sure if
KAction would be intended to be used like this, but I would recommend that
you try it for these 5 buttons, as you would gain shortcuts for free by doing
so. Otherwise you will need to have separated code for shortcuts (which are
currently missing).

While you are on it, it may be a good idea to add shortcuts for the 6 cups as
well. Could be done by code like this
new KAction( i18n("Sow cup 1"), Qt::Key_1, this, SLOT(sowCup1()),
actionCollection(), "sow_cup_1");
(actionColelction() is a method in KMainWindow, so I am assuming that you game
will use that)

Currently your game crashes when I press a cup without clicking "NEW" first.
Hmm, I think it worked before.. Anyway here is a backtrace:
(gdb) bt
#0  0x08050bde in GameWidget::onmove ()
#1  0x08050abe in GameWidget::move1 ()
#2  0x08050a9a in GameWidget::pressed5 ()
#3  0x08057782 in GameWidget::qt_invoke ()
#4  0xb7b5d5ac in QObject::activate_signal () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
[...]

Anyway - currently KDE is close to a release, so adding a new application is
not possible anyway, but after it I vote for it :)

> Questions/Comments would be most appreciated.
> Thank you for your consideration.
>
> Best,
> Michael Collins

CU