[Kde-games-devel] The Oware Wizard

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Apr 19 00:02:16 CEST 2005

Hi Michael,

> I'm not sure whether you guys forgot about me, but I have that great Oware
> game that I'd like to add to KDE-Games.
>
> I've been pretty busy lately, but have managed to make the changes you
> requested. I probably won't have too much time to devote until a month or
> so, but I don't imagine much more needs to be done.
>
> What's the next step in adding it to the distribution?

first off: I am not the person to ask. I am not involved in "official" KDE
development. I maintain another KDE game, but it is not in KDE-games, and I'm
not actively working towards that state either. Also I must admit I have not
even tested your game (though I believe I'm familiar with the oware game).
Still, I think before proceeding further, you should consider your options and
what they may mean:

Integration in KDE-games
- Advantages for you:
	- extremely high visibility and distribution
	- some maintainance will be taken care of by other people, though many
KDE-games seem to have gone a long time without any active work
- Advantages for KDE-games:
	- yet another KDE game
- Disadvantages for you:
	- getting your game into KDE-games will take quite some more nagging
	- you have to get (almost) fully compliant to KDE standards and rules, but
you may not get much help with getting there due to limited resources
	- you lose some control over further development
- Disadvantages for KDE-games:
	- size of distribution is ever increasing
	- more stuff to maintain (port to new major versions of KDE, keep up to
date...)

Personally - but again, my opinion does not really count much - I'd rather
vote against integrating many more games into KDE. This only my personal
opinion, but the more games in KDE, the larger the reluctance to include new
games will probably get.

Further options besides integration in KDE-games (and you should probably do
those, anyway)
- host your game on a site like sourceforge or berlios or others:
	- provides several facilities for users and potential developers to get in
contact with you (bug-trackers, public CVS, etc.)
- announce your game on http://freshmeat.net:
	- a must if you want better visibility / more users
- announce your game on http://www.kde-apps.org:
	- a must for KDE applications

Again: You don't need to listen to me. But maybe this is still worth
considering to you.

Regards
Thomas