[Kde-games-devel] New game - KBalm

Richard Smith kde at metafoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 18:54:28 CET 2004

Hi,

A couple of days ago I played a flash game called Balm which I kinda enjoyed,
so I decided to clone it for KDE. The result of a couple of days' hacking is
attached. It's in a playable state, with reasonable graphics and a fairly
stupid but still challenging AI. It's basically ready for release as a
1-player game.

I have various improvements planned for it - most importantly I want to add a
UI for starting a 2-player (or more) game, and I want support for network
play. It could also benefit from UI to change the options (board size and AI
skill level), and some visual feedback to make it obvious where the other
players went (currently it's easy to miss).

Anyway, if you want to try it out, untar the files into a kdegames checkout,
build it as normal (I've been told this doesn't work with srcdir!=builddir),
then run it from the source directory (this is needed since it doesn't yet
install its graphics). The rules of the game are as follows:

Every node 'points' to another node. Two nodes are connected if either points
to the other one. You start off controlling the node in the top-left corner,
while your opponent controls the node in the bottom-right corner. On your
turn, you choose one of your nodes to rotate a quarter turn clockwise (by
clicking on it or selecting it with the arrow keys and hitting space),
thereby potentially changing which nodes it's connected to. You are then in
control of any nodes that are now directly or indirectly connected to the
one you rotated (including nodes that your opponent used to control). The
goal is to take over all of your opponent's nodes.

I'd like the game to be incorporated into kdegames (if not for KDE3.4 then for
KDE4.0). What's the procedure for that?
--
Thanks,
Richard