[Kde-games-devel] Colour fonts

Thomas Friedrichsmeier kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:09:07 +0100

> True. Actually, the real-time method works for my needs, but it'd be ni=
ce
> if KDE had some fancy-text-output classes.

Also, esp. for games, it would sometimes be useful to be able to call a=20
function like "render me the given string so that it fits into the given =
with=20
and/or height, using whatever point-size is appropriate". Then, if e.g. y=
ou=20
want to put some text-label on a graphics displayed in a QCanvas, you wou=
ld=20
not need to worry about whether in language A the string in question has=20
three characters while it has ten in language B, nor would you need to wo=
rry,=20
whether the player uses 100dpi or 75dpi fonts on their system.
I've had to implement something like this for taxipilot, but my solution =
is=20
slow and awkward and does not always work as expected, so a nice and clea=
n=20
function in libkdegames would be great.

Thomas