[Kde-games-devel] Re: Re: Incomplete Information and KGame

Neil Stevens kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:39:22 -0800

On Saturday February 15, 2003 02:07, Martin Heni wrote:
> >So does the silence mean that it's not possible to hide information and
> >still stay within the KGame properties framework?  Or that I missed an
> >obvious part of the docs?
>
> A property can be set to three different modes. If it is set
> to the local one (PolicyLocal), it is not transmitted over the network
> (but still saved). This is probably what you want.

Not quite.  I need the server to deal cards to a player, but that player's=
=20
hidden cards should not be visible to other players.

I cannot trust the player to just supply his own cards from the deck,=20
either, because that also leaves room for cheating (someone could hack=20
Megami to let the player pick which card gets dealt to him :-).

> It is also of course possible to have "normal c/c++" variables
> in your player code. You only have to add them to the load
> save streams (which is easily possible) of the player to
> get them to a save file if you want it. Using normal variables
> you can implement any level of security you want.

But how can the server communicate that to the player and only that player?=
 =20
If you can tell me how to do that, then I guess I can make that work.

> >I really want to use KGame to get multiplayer play, but not if it means
> >players will be able to cheat by modifying the client.
>
> If you think the lib lacks features it certainly is possible that
> you incorporate code into it. It cannot be assumed that it is
> perfect right now.

OK, if I know how to communicate just to one player, I can probably add=20
that in.

> More info on
> http://www.heni-online.de/libkdegames/kgamedoc/index.html

Yeah, I have all that downloaded and copied into my other KDE docs, so that=
=20
I can just alt-f2 and apidocs:KPlayer or apidocs:KGame or whatever.

> If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask. However,
> lack of time might delay answers a bit!

I understand.  Thank you for your detailed answer already. :-)
=2D --=20
Neil Stevens - neil@qualityassistant.com
"Distinctions by race are so evil, so arbitrary and insidious that a
state bound to defend the equal protection of the laws must not allow
them in any public sphere." -- Thurgood Marshall