[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner 2.0 (KDE application) available

Ian Wadham ianw at netspace.net.au
Sat Aug 16 10:46:59 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 9:57 PM

>>    1. It links to $(LIB_KDEGAMES), which is unknown to Gideon.
>>        I do not know if kdenonbeta recognises the KDE Games library.
>>
> Do you have -I$(top_srcdir)/libkdegames in your INCLUDES line in
Makefile.am?

No.  What's it do?  I just get "kstdgameaction.h" from the standard
/opt/kde3/include where it is installed.  My real problem was with
kgoldrunner_LDADD ..... $(LIB_KDEGAMES).  I solved it (locally)
by doing export LIB_KDEGAMES=-lkdegames, which works
because libkdegames is also installed with KDE 3.

>>    2. An admin guy put a "chown root" in kgoldrunner/system/Makefile.am.
>>        This will cause about 200 error messages (one for every
>>        KGoldrunner level) if you are installing into your own area
>>        (i.e. not as "root").
>>
> I'd say remove it.. I haven't heard of a single KDE application requiring
> stuff like that.

The 200 or so KGoldrunner levels files are distributed as a single
"levels.tar" file: to save having to define all those levels in a
Makefile.am and having to remember to update it every time I add
a few levels.  That requires an "install" step to untar the files.  No
problem, except it appears there is an idiosyncrasy of "tar" whereby
it will change file ownerships when untarring _*for all users except
"root"*_.   So I guess the KDE admin guys need that "chown".

Cheers, Ian W.