[Kde-games-devel] Anybody interested in joining Taxipilot?

thomas kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:48:02 +0100

Hi!

Maybe some of you have given Taxipilot (http://taxipilot.sf.net) a try be=
fore.=20
It's reached version 0.8.5 recently and all in all, I (the biased author)=
=20
think it's pretty nice.
Now, for the next half a year or so, I will not have the time to work muc=
h on=20
the game. This is not only a pity in itself, but even more so, since fina=
lly=20
somebody skilled in designing graphics is offering their help, so the gam=
e=20
could really improve a lot. Therefore I'd really be happy, if somebody co=
uld=20
join in with development. I won't be off entirely, but I don't think I wi=
ll=20
be able to fulfill the needs/wishes for new functionality of the=20
graphics-designer appropriately.
Some more things should be mentioned:
1) The code is rather messy, at least in parts. Taxipilot started as my=20
"learning C++"-project and esp. in the beginning, I did not care at all a=
bout=20
coding styles etc. Therefore a good deal of the code does not adhere to _=
any_=20
style. Also of course, a lot of code is probably of rather low quality.
2) The configuration-side is well documented ("well" as far as completene=
ss is=20
concerned, this does not exactly apply to readability). see=20
http://taxipilot.sf.net/docs.php
3) The code itself is neither planfully nor consistently documented, but=20
compared to other programmers, I tend to comment rather a lot.
4) The api-documentation is partially seriously outdated. It is currently=
 not=20
compatible to kdoc (due to a bug in kdoc) but only to doxygen.
5) Although I won't do much coding, I'm definitely available for answerin=
g all=20
sorts of questions concerning what has been done, how and what some code =
is=20
good for, and what I was still planning to do.
6) Taxipilot is a KDE (3.x)-application, but is not in KDE-CVS (it's on=20
sourceforge). I doubt it would be reasonable to put it inside a KDE-packa=
ge,=20
since it is rather wasteful about game data. It currently has 2.5 megs of=
=20
game-data (unpacked, but does not compress all that much) and hopefully=20
there's a lot more to come. If this is an issue, however, I'm certainly=20
willing to reconsider that.

Well, if anybody is interested - I'd be happy to hear from you!

Thomas