[Kde-games-devel] A New Game for KDE (3.1?)

Ian Wadham kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 19:05:20 +1100

Hi,

Andreas Beckermann suggested I contact you.  I have just
finished working on a game called KGoldrunner.  It is a game
of action and puzzle-solving and includes a game editor with
which you can create your own games and levels.  It comes
with five games, including a Tutorial game, and over 150
levels.  It is based on a game called Lode Runner, which was
a major best-seller in its day, so I think it will be a welcome
addition to KDE Games.

I would like to have it ready for KDE 3.1, but first I would
like to find people to try it out under KDE 2.  I have tested
it fully on my own machine (500 MHz PIII, 1024x768 resolution,
17 inch monitor) using KDE 2.1.2 and Qt 2.3.0 with SuSE
Linux 7.2.  I would now like other people to try it under KDE 2
to see if they like it and whether there are any problems with
animation timing or screen size on other processors and screens.
Some of the more advanced levels are very time critical and
require fast, accurate reactions.  I am hoping the millisecond
timers in Qt are sufficiently accurate across all configs.

I cannot convert to Qt 3 now, because it will be a lot of work.
Trolltech have changed a lot of stuff at the QWidget and QPainter
level that impacts KGoldrunner heavily.  I wish they wouldn't
do that.  I have some sort of version running with Qt 3, but I
have had to work around clashes between Qt2 shared libraries,
used by KDE 2 library and Qt 3 libraries used by KGoldrunner.
So I am reluctant to release that version.

I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Best Regards, Ian Wadham,
from Melbourne, Australia.