[Kde-games-devel] Better compression of carddecks

Ralf Schmelter kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:35:59 +0100 (CET)

Hello!

A while ago there was a discussion if some of the carddecks should be
removed from kdegames in order to save some space. A second option would
be to compress the png images better. Most of the pngs (apart from the
default deck) are not indexed, but RGB images, without really needing more
than 256 colors. So I've converted all png images in the carddecks
directory via GIMP to indexed pngs, saved with maximum compression. This
results in huge savings of space (over 2.5 megabytes), without noticable
artefacts. Even the default deck was further compressed. You can get the
compressed versions at
http://ganter.chemie.uni-dortmund.de/~ralfs/carddecks.tar.bz2

And while a haven't looked at other graphics used in kdegames and other
packages, I'm quite sure there are other graphics which can be compressed
further. Maybe it's worthwhile to take a look at them too.

Ralf Schmelter

--
Ralf Schmelter
Physikalische Chemie 2a