[Kde-games-devel] Some nice stuff

Josef Spillner kde-games-devel@mail.kde.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:42:28 +0200

Hi,

after spending several months with trying out new stuff and writing tons of
unusable or only half-usable games we brought out a new GGZ release, which
shows quite well that it was planned for the end of last year, and the KDE
parts of it suffer from that fact as well.
It's still KDE 2.2 based, and there isn't too much new to discover, but on
the other hand it will make the next release even more kicking ;)

So, here's what has changed in version 0.0.5:
- some UI improvements
- new game client: Muehle / Nine men's morris
- new game client: Koenig (chessd compatible)
- the beginning of a KControl module, which already has some read-only
functionality
- a KIO slave to access GGZ servers
- another KIO slave, very experimental, which can be used to access meta
servers of any kind. Unfortunately all those which use sub-slaves don't work
yet, I'll have to fix that. In theory, games like Atlantik or Freeciv or
Netrek or our own meta server are supported.
Once this is fully working I'd like to move it over to KDE CVS, but this
might still take a while (not another 10 months though).

What is planned for 0.0.6:
- port to KDE3
- get rid of old workarounds and hacks
- finalize some still unstable games like Copenhagen [1]

Well, this was the KDE-side of the news, for a complete overview you might be
interested in reading
	http://ggz.sourceforge.net/docs/release.html

What's up with KDE:
- Tobias König and me have written a bomberman-like game, once named KaBoom,
then renamed to Kamikaze, which we would like to see in KDE 3.{1|2},
depending on our time. We ported it to KDE 3 already, but it seems we forgot
to commit... will be fixed soon. [2]
- The same guy and me had a little contest who would bring up the best port
of a mobile phone game to KDE, and I think both results are playable at least
one time :) [3] [4]
- Another KDE game: Kard. But this is intended to go into kde-edu. This will
even be the one which will be moved first.

Josef

[1] http://ggz.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php?op=SSsFullShot&cid=36
[2] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mindx/kaboom-head/
[3] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mindx/relokate/
[4] http://mindx.dyndns.org/download/krotate.tar.bz2

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net