display manager that supports multiple X servers

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 9 18:33:53 BST 2019

Now that kdm is gone I need to find a replacement for a feature that I want to
use on some systems.  Since switching users in KDE never worked for me (either
in KDE 4 or now), I used to start several X servers, each on its own VT, each
with a greeter.  One user could log in on VT9 and another on VT10, etc.  They
could not work at the same time, of course.  But they could time share the
computer.  This setup was easy with kdm.

Now, I have looked at several still supported DM-s and none of them seems to
support that feature.  Various Linux documentation talks a lot of multi-seat and
I think that what I want is a simpler subset of the multi-seat.  But it seems
all mainstream DMs support multi-seat only via Linux / systemd based
infrastructure like logind / loginctl etc.  I could not find a way to explicitly
configure multiple X servers on multiple VTs.

I guess that I should be able to achieve what I want with xdm and /etc/ttys, but
xdm is so ugly...

--
Andriy Gapon