"devel/kio-extras" with samba v4-10

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Mon Dec 9 18:38:32 GMT 2019

On Friday, December 6, 2019 6:11:24 A.M. EST Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:22:39 PM CET Carmel NY wrote:
> > I have Samba Version 4.10.10 installed. When attempting to build
> >
> > devel/kio-extras with the:
> >  SAMBA=on: Needed to build the SMB kioslave
> >
> > which is the default setting in the port, the build fails with the
> > message that the wrong version of 'samba' is installed.
>
> It would really help if you included the actual error message from such a
> build. (Also, fails during configure, or some other time?)
>
> > What I want to know is why the "devel/kio-extras" port is still
> > dependent on samba -= v4.8 if it is EOL'd? If the port cannot be made to
> > work with a modern version of samba; then the option should either be
> > removed or turned off as the default in the makefile, preferable with a
> > notation of why.
>
> I can't reproduce the problem, though: in a poudriere, after building and
> installing samba410, I built and installed kio-extras:
>
> root at bbbbuild:/usr/ports/devel/kio-extras # pkg info | egrep 'samba|kio'
> kf5-kio-5.64.0                 KF5 resource and network access abstraction
> kio-extras-19.08.3             Plasma5 library to increase the functionality
> of KIO
> samba410-4.10.10               Free SMB/CIFS and AD/DC server and client for
> Unix
>
> I have no idea how to tell if it *works*, but it certainly compiles (for
> me).
>
> [ade]

The devel/kio-extras port isn't explicitly dependant on samba-4.8. The port
has a USES=samba clause, and bsd.default-versions.mk still defines
SAMBA_DEFAULT?=         4.8 . I imagine bsd.default-versions.mk will be
updated shortly as samba-4.8 is end of life.

If you want to build devel/kio-extras with Samba 4.10, put
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=samba=4.10
in make.conf.

Cheers,
DMK