"devel/kio-extras" with samba v4-10

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Thu Dec 5 16:22:39 GMT 2019

I have Samba Version 4.10.10 installed. When attempting to build
devel/kio-extras with the:

 SAMBA=on: Needed to build the SMB kioslave

which is the default setting in the port, the build fails with the
message that the wrong version of 'samba' is installed. Version 4.8 of
samba is already EOL'd "2019-09-17," according to the samba web site.
The current stable version is v4.11.2, released Tuesday, October 29
2019; however, that is not even available in the ports system.

What I want to know is why the "devel/kio-extras" port is still
dependent on samba -= v4.8 if it is EOL'd? If the port cannot be made to
work with a modern version of samba; then the option should either be
removed or turned off as the default in the makefile, preferable with a
notation of why.

--
Carmel