qt5-core not building

Schaich Alonso alonsoschaich at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 27 09:20:12 BST 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 20:37:24 +0000
Andrew Hamilton-Wright <andrew.hamilton-wright at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> As it happens, I do use synth for port management.  That does not solve the problem.  In fact, it was problems in synth build that let me to look into this issue in the first place.
>
> What is clear to me is that the port installation of qt5 as it exists on my machine is broken, as it cannot be built from the port itself, which is, I note the recommended way of doing things as described in the FreeBSD manual.
>
> The machine is up to date.  When building, I see the 5.11.2 version number for QT being reported at multiple points, however the build itself is getting the old version information from somewhere.
>
> Where are these “hidden” data pieces stored?  It would be helpful to know where the clearly incorrect version numbering is coming from.
>
> If, to do this, I do need to completely remove QT, a pointer to some instructions on how to do that would be helpful.  It does not seem to simply be the case that either port based “make deinstall” or package based delete has any effect on the problem.  Wherever the corruption is, it is not touched by these methods.
>
> Is there a clear statement somewhere about where this information is stored?  Or additionally how to ensure that the entirety of QT is removed in order that it can be reinstalled from scratch?
>
> Best regards,
> AHW

Hi

The Qt version macros are set by qmake's makespec files, namely

> /usr/local/lib/qt5/mkspecs/modules/qt_lib_bootstrap_private.pri

which is installed as part of the qt5-buildtools package these days, but it might have been installed by qt5-qmake on historic ports.

A possible scenario would be having Qt-5.9.4's qt5-buildtools package installed while trying to compile Qt-5.11.2 packages that _should_ depend on qt5-buildtools (potentially indirectly by depending on other ports that depend on it) in order to prevent the old buildtools to be installed at the point a non-buildsystem Qt port is compiled.

Can you check

> make -V QT5_VERSION

in the devel/qt5-buildtools subdirectory of your ports repository prints 5.11.2, and

> pkg info qt5-buildtools

confirms the package system "thinks" 5.11.2 is installed?

Another potential scenario would be having attempted to perform a manual update, i.e. using "make" rather than some ports-management tool (portmaster and the likes), and having forgotten to run "make clean" before updating the ports tree. AFAIK, ports would reinstall the already built content of the stagedir because it has "learned" that "make build" / "make stage" has already sucessfully completed before the ports tree was updated and still has this "knowledge" after the update.

Alonso