Plasma 5 Experiences

Tobias C. Berner tcberner at freebsd.org
Tue May 16 08:24:09 UTC 2017

Hi Mark

On 15 May 2017 at 20:07, Mark Dixon <mnd999 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've resisted testing Plasma 5 on FreeBSD for some time, but it's sounding
> more and more stable so I installed over the weekend from http://
> meatwad.mouf.net/rubick/poudriere/packages/110-amd64-area51/. I thought it may
> be useful to share some observations. I'm using 11-Release with nvidia-driver.
>
> * Both area51 svn and the above pkg repo are currently down.
Yup...

> * Akonadi / Kmail seems very unstable still. I've got a fairly large hotmail
> and a fair large gmail IMAP mailbox configured and it fairly regularly grinds
> to a complete halt. If I restart akonadi from the command line with
> akonadictl,  also get quite a lot of what look like errors in the output.
Yes, I have a simlilar issue of kmail completely refetching everything
all the time.
Sometimes it also works. There are similar bug reports upstream.

> * sddm is crashy - I've had this crash the entire machine several times,
> particularly during logoff / shutdown.
I have not used sddm much apart from testing if login works. So I
cannot really comment on that.

> * Baloo is a performance killer in it's initial scan - I've got a zmirror of
> two disks and on a new install it took several hours of indexing before the
> machine was usable. I've also had at least one OS crash during the process.
> This makes a rotten first impression.
Yes, it takes ages. -- But I didn't have my OS crash. -- do you have
kern.maxfiles set high enough -- the value in libinotify's pkg-message
is rather low.
You can also restrict baloo to only certain directories, or disable
it, if you won't use it anyway.

> * Not sure whether to use OpenGL 2.0 or 3.1 - 2.0 feels more stable but I'm
> not sure why.
No idea :)

> * Dragon doesn't seem to do anything and KDE audio doesn't work (although this
> was also the case in KDE4) . I don't see any phonon backends in settings -
> this may just be a package I need to install.
Did you follow phonon4's pkg-message and install one of the backends?

> * If I delete a file from the terminal, this is not reflected in Dolphin - is
> there a kqueue / inotify issue?
I have to check at home.

> I'm going to stick with it for now. If this is interesting I'll share further
> experiences.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

mfg Tobias