Plasma 5 Experiences

Mark Dixon mnd999 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 18:07:40 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I've resisted testing Plasma 5 on FreeBSD for some time, but it's sounding
more and more stable so I installed over the weekend from http://
meatwad.mouf.net/rubick/poudriere/packages/110-amd64-area51/. I thought it may
be useful to share some observations. I'm using 11-Release with nvidia-driver.

* Both area51 svn and the above pkg repo are currently down.

* Akonadi / Kmail seems very unstable still. I've got a fairly large hotmail
and a fair large gmail IMAP mailbox configured and it fairly regularly grinds
to a complete halt. If I restart akonadi from the command line with
akonadictl,  also get quite a lot of what look like errors in the output.

* sddm is crashy - I've had this crash the entire machine several times,
particularly during logoff / shutdown.

* Baloo is a performance killer in it's initial scan - I've got a zmirror of
two disks and on a new install it took several hours of indexing before the
machine was usable. I've also had at least one OS crash during the process.
This makes a rotten first impression.

* Not sure whether to use OpenGL 2.0 or 3.1 - 2.0 feels more stable but I'm
not sure why.

* Dragon doesn't seem to do anything and KDE audio doesn't work (although this
was also the case in KDE4) . I don't see any phonon backends in settings -
this may just be a package I need to install.

* If I delete a file from the terminal, this is not reflected in Dolphin - is
there a kqueue / inotify issue?

I'm going to stick with it for now. If this is interesting I'll share further
experiences.

Regards,

Mark