Is there a difference between kde5 and plasma5?

Tobias C. Berner tcberner at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 29 21:28:28 UTC 2017

Hi there

According to the internet, there is no "KDE5" [1] -- the thing is now
called "Plasma Desktop". However, we found it is probably less confusing,
if we still add a metaport similar to x11/kde4 for the new stuff.

* x11/kde5: "fat meta port" -- pulls in the dependencies for a plasma
desktop [note, not whole plasma] and (optionally) applications
* x11/plasma5-plasma: "plasma metaport" -- pulls in every plasma port.

That being said, if you know what you want, you can also just install
x11/plasma5-plasma-desktop and the applications you want :), and forgo all
the meta-ports shenanigans.

mfg Tobias

[1] https://vizzzion.org/blog/2011/06/there-is-no-kde5/