A request to slim down KDE

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 09:34:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am writing from my second box, which has a graphics chip that does not
yet work under FreeBSD and therefore runs Manjaro Linux with KDE5.

KDE5 is absolutely sensational, there is no doubt about that. It is as
functional as the classsic interface we used to see in Windows 2000/XP,
and in terms of sophisticated look-and-feel, it beats everyone else
hands down.

But KDE is, in my opinion, is way too bloated now with applications that
should not be getting installed by default with the base environment.

I request KDE under FreeBSD be trimmed down, and be defined in the
meta-port catalog as the following listing :

1) Base runtime, libraries and systemsettings applet
2) text editor (kate)
3) shell (konsole)
4) file manager (dolphin)
5) screenshot capture (spectacle)
6) image viewer (gwenview)
7) PDF viewer (okular)
8) CD/DVD writing frontend (k3b)
9) calculator (kcalc)
10) zip frontend (ark)
11) An optional paint program (kolourpaint/krita)

Specifically, no internet and multimedia applications to be installed as
part of the meta-port.

Defined (and restricted in its definition) as above, KDE continues to be
as functional as before - and relegates unneeded bloat to the space of
user-made choices where anyone can add anything else [s]he needs.

There is one more point where KDE could slim down - virtual desktops.
KDE currently offers 2 ways of doing the same thing - Virtual Besktops
and Activities. We don't need both, particularly when the base system
has become so bulky. Eliminating either one makes KDE smaller and faster.

I hope there are more takers than undertakers for my position as stated
above.

Regards
Manish Jain