Naming and labeling

Tobias C. Berner tcberner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 19:45:40 UTC 2016

On 7 September 2016 at 14:06, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 06, 2016 10:30:31 PM Tobias C. Berner wrote:
> > On 6 September 2016 at 11:03, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:
> > >  - Those ports often have PORTNAME set, to just * (without the -kde4)
> and
> > > PKGNAMESUFFIX set to -kde4
> >
> > That seems sensible, also the DISTFILES magic works then and does not
> > require it to be manually set.
> >
> > >  - Ports that use KDE Frameworks 5 as a platform are often found in
> ..
> > > PKGNAMESUFFIX set to -kf5
> >
> > The rule however should probably be to avoid these suffixes whenever
> > possible,
> > unless we do the thing for another thread you mention below...
>
> That seems sensible except that you also point out that we'll have to have
> -
> kf5 and -kde4 versions of many things in ports for a little while, just to
> enable migration and UPDATING. So we would end up with what, <foo> ->
> <foo>-
> kde4 for a while (to allow for graceful moving), then adding <foo> which is
> the newer version? Seems like a way to make things take extra long.
>
> Or do you mean <foo> should be the preferred <foo>, and we can add
> <foo>-kf5,
> <foo> renaming at once to swap out the preferred version?

Yes, I think I would prefer <foo> for "the up to date version" and
<foo>-kde4 for
"we ship this for the grumpy 'I like my software outdated and well-tested'
Sheilas and Bruces"
outdated version [ :) ] -- I used the "-legacy" suffix for a while in
plasma5 instead of "-kde4",
but that turned out to be probably a bit confusing.

But in the end, it is just a name, and I don't really care, as long as we
get it into
ports in a timely manner :P

> I don't know enough abouts ports-procedures to know what's preferable.
> Personally I prefer less moving and renaming, which suggests <foo>-kde4 and
> <foo>-kf5 from the start.

I don't think -kf5 is really needed -- I doubt we'll get Frameworks 6 in
the near future.
So adding this to every 16.08 application seems a bit much.

> > > not KDE5). But applications shouldn't necessarily say they are "for
> KDE";
> >
> > If the port is part of the KDE Applications release cycle, I think "KDE"
> > can stay.
> > I think gnome's applications do also carry a "GNOME" in their COMMENT
> from
> > a quick grep.
> > But I agree, that it should not carry a version in general.
>
> OK. That's another tidying-step to do at some point (soon-ish).

Thanks :) *sneakily mentions pkg-descrs and WWW:*

> > > Generally speaking, we won't have a -kf5 *and* a -kde4 version of a
> single
> > > port (that's a discussion for another thread).
> >
> > Which we need to have before we can think of updating KDE Applications in
> > ports
> > to anything even nearly recent.
>
> Hm. That makes things extra-difficult, since it sounds like "everything is
> blocked" again, and plasma5/ branch is enough of a bear as it is.

KDE Frameworks is not affected by this. So we should be able to push that
soon.
KDE Plasma Desktop probably neither directly. It's just everything from KDE
Applications
where around 90%-ish of applications are now Qt5/Kf5 based (kate, konsole,
dolphin,ktp,...) -- but as you want applications in your desktop, this in
turn affects Plasma.
So if we want to ship the old versions of konsole, kate and so on, we would
have to
add konsole-kde4, and so on ports.
[However, whether ktp-kde4 'does not work edition' is really needed, is a
question kde4
users need to answer ^^].

> > > Does this make sense as a general description of how we name ports and
> > > packages? (If so, it should go into our area51 developer bits on
> techbase
> > > or
> > > on our site).
> >
> > maybe also on the FreeBSD wiki? https://wiki.freebsd.org/KDE as a new
> item
> > under "Team best practices"? Just to give you more options to think
> about ^^
> > But as always, do what you think fits best :)
>
> I'd prefer to have fewer places to maintain, rather than more. Hence my
> desire, ages ago, to move most of freebsd.kde.org to techbase, or to
> consolidate the other way and produce a nice f.k.o and drop the techbase
> bits.

Sounds reasonable -- you decide ^^.

> [ade]

mfg Tobias