[kde-freebsd] Can't run cmake-gui

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Nov 25 15:59:37 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 25 November 2015 08:52:10 Gene wrote:
> I installed the cmake-gui package 3.3.1, and upgraded cmake to match.

Hunh, I didn't even know that existed. It's a Qt5 application, it seems
(unless I've totally borked my ports-tree).

> However, it refuses to run. The only error I can find is in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Nov 25 08:45:55 Genesis kernel: pid 59786 (cmake-gui), uid 1001: exited on
> signal 6 (core dumped)

In that case, you should have a cmake-gui.core file, either in you home-
directory, or in the directory where you ran it. Now, signal 6 is ABORT, so
that usually means something is triggering a software assertion.

No output when you run it from the command-line?

You can use gdb to try to find out what's going wrong:

	gdb  `which cmake-gui`

then at the gdb-prompt, type "run" to run the program without arguments. When
(if) it crashes, type "bt" at the prompt to get a backtrace.

> I also tried compiling the port from an up to date ports tree - but the
> compilation fails.

That, at the very least, should have produced some error messages you could
put in a pastebin (e.g. https://paste.kde.org/) for others.

> I'm not sure where to even begin troubleshooting. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction?

One thing to bear in mind is that Qt applications may need to have a DBUS
session available. If there's no DBUS, they crash with an abort -- you can see
that happening if you run them from twm on a system without enable_dbus=YES in
/etc/rc.conf. So it might be that, as well.

[ade]