[kde-freebsd] Phonon-vlc crashing

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Wed Mar 25 19:26:39 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 09:19:24AM +0000, Max Brazhnikov wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 00:47:30 +0100 Schaich Alonso wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:38:09 +0200
> > David Naylor <dbn at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I always seem to be complaining about Phonon :-(.  My latest issue has been crashes in phonon-vlc (phonon-gstreamer still doesn't work).
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > while it seemed not to have been useful to someone else contacting the
> > mailing list yesterday, I found either
> >
> > * uninstalling multimedia/phonon-vlc and reinstalling
> > x11/kde4-workspace with gstreamer instead of vlc OPTION set,
>
> multimedia/phonon-gstreamer doen't work with KDE due to other problem
> (mixing GStreamer 0.10 and 1.x). I'm working on qtwebkit23 to replace
> qt4-webkit, which is the last GStreamer 0.10 consumer, but it'll take some
> time.
>

> > or
> >
> > * reinstalling multimedia/vlc without it's QT5 ports OPTION
> > workarounds the issue for me.
>
> This is not an option for package users. multimedia/phonon-vlc  needs !Qt5
> version of VLC. Perhaps we need a slave port for Qt 4 VLC if multimedia@ team
> have reasons to stick to Qt 5.

I was just taking the default that the vlc 2.2 build picked up
(qt5), thinking that support for anything else (qt4) is deprecated
by vlc upstream and would sooner or later bitrot anyway.

 But if there's a reason to have a vlc-qt4 slave port while that
still works I'm of course not against it...

	Juergen