[kde-freebsd] Phonon-vlc crashing

David Naylor dbn at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 24 18:47:15 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, 24 March 2015 00:47:30 Schaich Alonso wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:38:09 +0200
>
> David Naylor <dbn at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I always seem to be complaining about Phonon :-(.  My latest issue has
> > been crashes in phonon-vlc (phonon-gstreamer still doesn't work).
> Hi,
>
> while it seemed not to have been useful to someone else contacting the
> mailing list yesterday, I found either
>
> * uninstalling multimedia/phonon-vlc and reinstalling
> x11/kde4-workspace with gstreamer instead of vlc OPTION set,

I am currently on a binary package based system so I did:
# pkg install phonon-gstreamer gstreamer1-plugins-all
# pkg delete -f phonon-vlc
(or is important as the `pkg install` step will reinstall phonon-vlc if it is
not present).

This fixes the crash for me however phonon-gstreamer does not play any audio
(although gstreamer does).

> or
>
> * reinstalling multimedia/vlc without it's QT5 ports OPTION
>
> workarounds the issue for me.
>
> Both are probably not generaly good though, because gstreamer AFAIK
> lacks flac support and disabling QT5 support in vlc on the other hand
> also disables it's GUI, which makes it useless as a jukebox.

Have you tried installing gstreamer1-plugins-flac?  This should add flac
support to gstreamer for you.  I would prefer the gstreamer option except I
cannot actually get phonon-gstreamer to work for me :-(.

Regards