[kde-freebsd] Issue with Qt / SSL

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Dec 16 16:36:54 UTC 2015

On 12/16/2015 10:28, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> writes:
>
>> Hey, I noticed a problem with some Qt apps crashing here on PC-BSD,
>> which uses LibreSSL. Specifically I traced the issue to Qt dynamically
>> libressl.so from /usr/lib, causing quite a nasty segfault :P
>>
>> We are using the following patch to fix the issue in PC-BSD:
>>
>> https://github.com/pcbsd/freebsd-ports/commit/bcdf67898049e49a9cf1c7398c91c416445f8ea6
>>
>> Just wanted to pass this along, since you may want to patch this in
>> FreeBSD ports as well. If you come up with a better solution, let me know.
> Hi, Kris,
>
> I'm still trying to understand the issue here. Was it so that a program
> linking against Qt also linked against LibreSSL (installed in
> /usr/local) tried to do some SSL work, which then caused Qt to load
> OpenSSL from /usr? If so, doesn't your patch break the opposite case
> (a program only links against OpenSSL from /usr, Qt then ends up loading
> LibreSSL from /usr/local)? Or is PC-BSD controlling the environment so
> that this is unsupported and not supposed to happen?

The issue was this:

We build *all* our packages against LibreSSL (but this would occur with
OpenSSL from ports as well)

In the case of a package like Mumble, it would link against
/usr/local/lib/libssl.so.XX, so far so good. Starting the app would work
initially, but when it went to do any openssl stuff via Qt, it would
then dynamically load the SSL library again, and *default* to the base
system version, leading to a SegFault when trying to mix the libraries.

So yes, this patch may break in the reverse case now, if you build
against base system SSL, but libssl exists in /usr/local/lib. I'm not
sure if we should just patch the heck out of Qt to load libs some other
way, or set a policy of having all packages use Open/LibreSSL from ports
as we do in PC-BSD.

--
Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software / iXsystems