[kde-freebsd] RFC: Need for 'NLS' and 'DOCS' options in KDE frameworks/plasma/applications ports

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Aug 29 09:00:47 UTC 2015

Ok, I've checked http://download.kde.org/stable/applications/15.08.0/src/kde-l10n/  which is the only one that ships the translations.

As each file contains translations for KDE 4 and KDE 5 together, how about just
updating the resprective ports with the sources packaging the kde4
translations and adding another port each for the kde5 translations  using the
same source then ? (that limits the distfiles down and ships the most recent
translations for KDE4 also)

There's no other l10n files I could find for KDE so it should be doable and the
preferred way for consistency ?

Just my input on this.

Ralf

Am Donnerstag, 27. August 2015, 09:55:21 schrieb Ralf Nolden:
> Am Mittwoch, 26. August 2015, 23:02:06 schrieb Adriaan de Groot:
> > On Wednesday 26 August 2015 20:38:28 Tobias Berner wrote:
> > > Now, I'm interested if someone actually cares for these options? That
> > > is,
> > > are there people who really want to be able _not_ to install docs and/or
> > > language files?
> >
> > Given KDE's strong i18n background, I am all for removing the NLS option
> > and always installing the available translations. They should be
> > mandatory.
> >
> > For docs, I'm on the fence. I'd suggest always installing them, for
> > simplicity (and then in all available translations, akin to NLS).
> >
> > [ade]
>
> So, given that kde5 now basically consists of 3 parts: frameworks, plasma
> and apps, how about checking if a single l10n port for each of those would
> make sense ? That would allow updating l10n and docs for each whenever the
> ports for a certain part gets an update from KDE upstream.
>
> If that would be the best practice to handle upstream sources, then we can
> still think about splitting those ports up into separate languages for
> installation size.
>

> Ralf

Kind regards,

Ralf Nolden