[kde-freebsd] WARNING: NEW XORG

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Mar 2 14:48:42 UTC 2014

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:36:22 +1100, Andrew Johnson stated:

> I made the mistake of migrating to BSD 10.0-STABLE on 24 Feband trying
> the WITH_NEW_XORG. And like many people I was rewarded with a blank
> screen.
> When I can get "Xorg -configure" to work it keeps creating a layout
> for 3 screens, 3 monitors, and 3 video devices on my Toshiba Satellite
> laptop with a intel GM45. After the log seem to be complaining about
> the mouse and keyboard, the HAL came into suspicion and when this
> persisted after multiple attempts to rebuild it and Xorg and their
> dependencies, I forced rebuilt all my ports (over 1180). Three days
> later there was still no joy, so yesterday I had to give up on
> NEW_XORG and revert back to 1.7.7. But now I find kde-freebsd has made
> the NEW_XORG that doesn't work, a dependency for KDE.
> I've updated my port directory again today and am rebuilding yet
> again, but it seems to me that there needs to be new documentation for
> the new Xorg before KDE or others make people dependent on it.

I have FreeBSD-10 amd64 installed also. I placed "WITH_NEW_XORG=YES" in
the /etc/make.conf file and rebuilt KDE4. I had several problems also, but
not like the ones you are describing. Mine related to a known problem,
although not listed in the UPDATING file, regarding "kde4-workspace". Once
I got that corrected,and with a little more tweaking, I got it all to work.

Personally, if I had to rebuild nearly 1200 ports, I would have backed up
any config files that I needed and then dumped the entire system and do a
fresh install of FreeBSD and then precede to re-install my applications. I
have over 1100+ ports and have found from past experience that sometimes it
is faster and far easier to just bite the bullet. For me, time is money and
I don't have enough money to waste time on.

Good luck, you will need it.

--
Jerry