[kde-freebsd] WARNING: NEW XORG

Andrew Johnson daeron at optusnet.com.au
Sun Mar 2 05:36:22 UTC 2014

I made the mistake of migrating to BSD 10.0-STABLE on 24 Feband trying
the WITH_NEW_XORG. And like many people I was rewarded with a blank
screen.
When I can get "Xorg -configure" to work it keeps creating a layout
for 3 screens, 3 monitors, and 3 video devices on my Toshiba Satellite
laptop with a intel GM45. After the log seem to be complaining about
the mouse and keyboard, the HAL came into suspicion and when this
persisted after multiple attempts to rebuild it and Xorg and their
dependencies, I forced rebuilt all my ports (over 1180). Three days
later there was still no joy, so yesterday I had to give up on
NEW_XORG and revert back to 1.7.7. But now I find kde-freebsd has made
the NEW_XORG that doesn't work, a dependency for KDE.
I've updated my port directory again today and am rebuilding yet
again, but it seems to me that there needs to be new documentation for
the new Xorg before KDE or others make people dependent on it.