[kde-freebsd] [SVN Commit] area51/KDE

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 09:16:03 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, 16 October 2012 19:20:11 Max Brazhnikov wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:20:12 GMT, David Bruce Naylor wrote:
> > SVN commit 8679 by DragonSA:
> >
> > Make l10n ports depend on their respective aspell dictionaries.
>
> Good idea! However, kde doesn't use aspell directly, but via enchant,

x11/kdelibs4 does depend on aspell directly, see LIB_DEPENDS.  Is it possible
kdelibs actually requires aspell somewhere, and enchant?

> which can be complied with support for other spellcheckers.
> hunspell has a plenty of dictionaries in ports. We probably need a global
> switch for spellchecking.

I had a look at enchant and there is no global way to determine which spell
checkers are being used.

I can see four ways to fix this:
 1) modify textproc/enchant to require a global (in make.conf) variable be set
 2) some dynamic method of detecting which spell checkers are used
 3) installing all the dictionaries, regardless of what enchant uses
 4) just install aspell (aka: ignore the problem)

My thoughts on the options:
 1) This is, in my opinion, the closest to optimal however this makes the
user's life difficult as enchant will no longer use options (effectively).  An
alternative is for a KDE specific global option?
 2) I would avoid this, not enough deterministic behaviour
 3) This, I think, is the most flexible as a user could recompile *just*
enchant and KDE will work without having to (re)install anything else,
although many prefer less to more packages installed
 4) Makes my life easy ;-)

I think a combination of option 1 and 3 should be implemented: have a KDE
specific option to control which dictionaries are installed and default to
installing everything, that way those who want less can get it.  Also I
propose contacting the enchant maintainer to see if we could make it global
(surely gnome and others have the same issue?).

But maybe this should be kept as a KDE specific solution?

Thoughts please!!!

> > This will provide spell checking for locales in addition to the
> > translations. Those ports without aspell counterparts have been marked
> > as such.
>
> some spell dictionaries are under ${lang} category, e.g arabic, russian.

<complain>I find the ${lang} categories confusing, why not put everything in
one place (like all the ${lang} without categories).</complain>

I'll fix this...

> > The following variables are introduced:
> > ASPELL_CODE?=	${KDE4_L10N}		# The aspell language code
> > ASPELL_FILE?=	${ASPELL_CODE}.multi	# The aspell file for
RUN_DEPENDS