[kde-freebsd] kde / device-notifier treats ufs partition as removable disk?

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 15 07:31:34 UTC 2012

on 14/03/2012 15:58 Mel Flynn said the following:
> On 3/14/2012 08:54, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>
>> This is how the (GPT) partition in question is reported by HAL:
>> udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_size_5368709120_0'
>>   block.device = '/dev/gpt/9VM0V8VZ.ufs'  (string)
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>> KDE Device Notifier is configured to show only removable devices, but it still
>> shows this UFS filesystem in a GPT partition on a HDD under a name of "5.0 GiB
>> Hard Drive".
>>
>> Anyone has a guess why the volume is being treated as removable?
>> Is this something in KDE (Solid) or in HAL?
>
> It's not treated as removable (removable flags are set to false),but

Which flags?  Just to be sure.

> yes it will show up.

But why then?

> The same will happen with tunefs, glabel or gpt
> labeled disks, which is why I have the attached in
> /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thridparty. When I label all
> partitions, I will have to add those too to prevent them from showing
> up. I can't really ignore /dev/ufs/* cause I want removable disks that I
> labeled to show up correctly.

This looks like a too big hummer of a workaround to me.
I'd rather fix the Device Notifier behavior.
Still, thanks a lot for sharing this trick!
--
Andriy Gapon