[kde-freebsd] Akonadi/mysqld problems

joaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Sat Jun 16 20:03:57 UTC 2012

Oliver Heesakkers wrote:
> Op za 16 jun 2012 09:08:51 schreef joaoBR:
>> Alberto Villa wrote:
>>> Akonadi works brilliantly now
>> :
>> :) what a self-esteem this man has ... :) congratulations, but you need
>>
>> it, so hold on to it
>>
>> for me it's enough, I wonder how some reasonable responsible could
>> publish not working instructions in ports/UPDATING (funny mysql script
>> for last Akonadi update)
>>

>> João
> For me there were a couple of bumps in the road, but in the end it worked out:
>
> After rm -rf'ing the akonadi directory and performing the upgrade, I had to reboot the
> machine to get Akonadi working again ("Error: unable to execute binary akonadi_control").

you're right, at the end worse part is not Akonadi but pim, kmail is the
new killer app, once we used killer app for something good but now it's
really killing

> Kmail had forgotten how many mails there were in each (IMAP connected) directory
> (which was expected, but doesn't IMAP / Dovevot do it's own caching?).
>
> Kmail had forgotten for which folders I wanted the emails displayed in html.
>
> Kmail had forgotten which folders in the IMAP connection were used for drafts, sent-mail
> and trash (Setting sent and drafts goes through "identities" settings and the trash is
> handled in the IMAP connection settings).
>
> Kmail had forgotten which folders I wanted displayed in mailinglist view.

right, lots of strange, eventually unacceptable handling decisions

and don't forget, everything in land-crossing-turtle-speed ... most
amazing of course this probably 'while not eof' loop for deleting a
bunch of messages from an imap mailbox, it is simply amazing watching
kmail eliminating one by one and the cursor jumping line by line,
amazing, really modern design ...  full state of art of MUA design, what
users want, easy and fast to install, no special knowledge necessary ...

and finally this 100 year old kmail problem is back, the splash screen
appears on long operations (I do not know why there are to be long
operations) and also on mailbox change and stays then there forever,
good work, no problem, users can close and launch kmail again right

> After all the caching was complete (every IMAP folder visted) and all settings were
> made, I see mysqld and akonadiserver continuously hogging the machines resources:
>
>   PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
>  2568 oliver       32  22    0   283M   145M sbwait  1  11:41 58.45% mysqld
>  2514 oliver       25  21    0   203M 49144K select  1   7:45 37.79% akonadiserver
>  2625 oliver        1  24    0   341M 51348K select  0   1:31  7.28% akonadi_maildispatc
>  2464 oliver        1  21    0 18544K  4664K select  0   2:03  4.88% dbus-daemon
>  2688 oliver        6  22    0  1914M   383M uwait   0   0:58  1.07% kontact
>  2764 oliver        4  43    0  1646M   160M select  0   0:20  0.39% kdeinit4
>  2513 oliver        2  20    0 85876K 11884K select  1   0:10  0.20% akonadi_control
>
> Another reboot fixed that too and now everything appears to be working as expected.

you must be one of the lucky guys :)

I ended up downgrading to pim44 and then I couldn't delete messages in
my Inbox anymore

João