[kde-freebsd] kde4 upgrade

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Thu Jul 5 20:54:44 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-05 15:06, joaoBR wrote:
> Em Thu, 05 Jul 2012 14:38:38 -0500
> Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com> escreveu:
>
>> On 2012-07-05 14:17, joaoBR wrote:

>> port

>> not

>> portion

>> problem

>> > slow down, don't assume things ... you have not read with
>> attention
>> > before
>> >
>> > I explain again
>> >
>> > no port is damaged (or busted), before starting the upgrade
>> process
>> > everything is fine as reported by pkgdb -F, pkgdb -L and
>> pkg_libchk,
>> > absolutely clean and everything working fine and smooth
>> >
>> > then, sooner or later while upgrading, one dependency port is
>> still
>> > the former version
>> >
>> > the install script looks for the actual version which is not
>> > installed
>> > and goes to "add the apparently missing port"
>> >
>> > after compiling it, it tries to install it AND NOW IT IS FAILING
>> > because the port is already installed, that was quite clear to see
>> > in the attached file
>> >
>> > what was necessary was an upgrade and not a new install
>> >

>> > ok, better explained now?
>> >

>> > and that is the reason WHY `portupgrade -a` is not working for the
>> > kde4
>> > upgrade, because it IS necessary to proceed in a certain order for
>> > not
>> > being caught by this problem
>> >
>> > BTW this problem is an old and nasty upgrade problem, only it is
>> > easy to
>> > solve when only one or two ports are envolved
>>
>> I have seen some bumps on upgrades and usually for the major ones, I
>> wait about 2 days for any port changes to occur and then run the
>> upgrades.  I have to ask but did you follow the instructions in
>> /usr/ports/UPDATING?  If not, you will run into problems like this.
>>

> come on ... don't through it on me and do not make such kind of
> questions, part of this thread is that the instructions from UPDATING
> are not accurate
>
> so, back to the issue:
>
> have you understood what is happening?

I hear that you have reported something that I cannot reproduce.  I
have to ask how I can reproduce it or we cannot help either improve what
you did or improve the process.

I did not have this happen to me and I am trying to understand why but
when I ask questions, you keep telling me to read but I have read your
emails and they are general and lack anything actionable since I and
others cannot reproduce this with the limited information.

> If yes, then read further, the real problem starts after it, want to
> know what it is?
>
> the to-be-upgraded port was build, the original or former version was
> already DE-INSTALLED
>
> the install pre-check detects a missing port and starts the process I
> explained in the former message
>
> NOW. remember, it fails because of wrong version detection and tried
> to install instead of upgrading the dependency

The only other idea I have here is that your port tree is corrupted and
should be removed and repulled but I bet you will give me some further
comments about not reading what you have written.  Again, I did not have
these issues.