[kde-freebsd] kde4 upgrade

joaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Thu Jul 5 20:06:45 UTC 2012

Em Thu, 05 Jul 2012 14:38:38 -0500
Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com> escreveu:

> On 2012-07-05 14:17, joaoBR wrote:

> >> x11/libkonq

> >> of

> >> These comments are not going to get you any help.

> >> Whenever I see the above, it is because a port shows as being
> >> installed but then a piece of it is missing (a specific file) so
> >> the ports system tries to reinstall it.
> >>
> >>  From reading your emails, including this one, I don't think you
> >> want
> >> to get this fixed and instead want to complain about this.
> >
> > slow down, don't assume things ... you have not read with attention
> > before
> >
> > I explain again
> >
> > no port is damaged (or busted), before starting the upgrade process
> > everything is fine as reported by pkgdb -F, pkgdb -L and pkg_libchk,
> > absolutely clean and everything working fine and smooth
> >
> > then, sooner or later while upgrading, one dependency port is still
> > the former version
> >
> > the install script looks for the actual version which is not
> > installed
> > and goes to "add the apparently missing port"
> >
> > after compiling it, it tries to install it AND NOW IT IS FAILING
> > because the port is already installed, that was quite clear to see
> > in the attached file
> >
> > what was necessary was an upgrade and not a new install
> >

> > ok, better explained now?
> >

> > and that is the reason WHY `portupgrade -a` is not working for the
> > kde4
> > upgrade, because it IS necessary to proceed in a certain order for
> > not
> > being caught by this problem
> >
> > BTW this problem is an old and nasty upgrade problem, only it is
> > easy to
> > solve when only one or two ports are envolved
>
> I have seen some bumps on upgrades and usually for the major ones, I
> wait about 2 days for any port changes to occur and then run the
> upgrades.  I have to ask but did you follow the instructions in
> /usr/ports/UPDATING?  If not, you will run into problems like this.

come on ... don't through it on me and do not make such kind of
questions, part of this thread is that the instructions from UPDATING
are not accurate

so, back to the issue:

have you understood what is happening?

If yes, then read further, the real problem starts after it, want to
know what it is?

the to-be-upgraded port was build, the original or former version was
already DE-INSTALLED

the install pre-check detects a missing port and starts the process I
explained in the former message

NOW. remember, it fails because of wrong version detection and tried
to install instead of upgrading the dependency

NOW, the upgrade process fails because of the failing install process

AND NOW the original to be upgraded port IS NOT on the system any more,
it is not being RE-INSTALLED under this conditions we are speaking
about!

BUT the upgrade-all-process goes on with the next port in line as
supposed to

BUT now more and more things fail, because of MISSING parts

NOW you have to identify everything one-by-one and the nightmare
starts, because now it ends up in real work

and please, if you pretend to through it on me or my machine or setup,
don't spend your time, don't answer, don't  worry  and lets wait until
somebody gets it

thanks

--

João Martins (JoaoBR)