[kde-freebsd] kde4 upgrade

joaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Thu Jul 5 10:13:36 UTC 2012

Em Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:40:48 -0500
Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com> escreveu:

> On 2012-07-04 05:40, joaoBR wrote:
> > Em Tue, 3 Jul 2012 13:52:58 +0200
> > Alberto Villa <avilla at FreeBSD.org> escreveu:

> >> and
> >>
> >> I'm sorry Joao, I usually try to give my support, but you didn't
> >> describe any real issue here, unless we consider your "FreeBSD just
> >> burned my hair"-like moan like a bug report. If you describe them
> >> in details (i.e., telling *how* exactly stuff is horribly failing)
> >> then I'll be happy to help you, especially if it turns into a
> >> chance to improve KDE SC upgrade procedure.
> >>
> >> Nonetheless, so far you're the only one reporting such a
> >> catastrophic
> >> failure.
> >>
> >> I hope we can turn this flamish thread into an useful one, and you
> >> can
> >> get your KDE desktop working.
> >
> > ok, but first I like to say that my message was not a flame neither
> > any
> > personal attack, simply it expressed my state of mind because of my
> > desktop is not working
> >
> > then lets go in parts
> >
> > main issue is, portupgrade -a[fOkrR] does not work and fails in ANY
> > case
> >
> > this might not be a kde issue because most kde ports do compile
> > fine, but fail to install or configure correctly because of other
> > issues
> >
> > the reason I copied the maintainers of portmaster and portupgrade,
> > but
> > seems their position is that it has nothing to do with them
> >
> > what then brings us back to kde, my question, the install/upgrade
> > script, is it kde, ports or who looks at this?
> >
> > for example, at this moment, since the last gstreamer update the
> > gstreamer-plugins do not compile anymore, I got some help from the
> > maintainer but now it fails somewhere else, this cause failures in
> > some other ports
> >
> > to have a base, I am running 9-STABLE i386 on my machines
> >
> > look into the attached compiler output and follow what happens
> >
> > it is not a singular example, it is a standard problem which happens
> > ALWAYS since ever, whatsoever, small ports with a couple of
> > dependencies are easily solved, in kde4, as a dependency-monster it
> > has
> > fatal consequences
> >
> > resuming
> >
> > upgrading a port
> > process checks dependencies for configuring and compiling
> > if complete it starts compiling
> > after successful compiling it goes to install and checks AGAIN for
> > install dependencies
> > if requirements not fulfilled it tries to install them, even if it
> > IS already installed
> > => problem now is, the script does not detect if a new install or an
> > upgrade is necessary
> > then, it still compiles the "missing" port and tries to install but
> > fails since it is already installed
> > => new problem now is, the original supposed port for upgrade was
> [...]

you do  not need to repeat what I already have said ...

take your time to read my last comment for better understanding

I know how to solve the problems, thing is that makes the problem not
go away

but I am curious, what make you think the port is busted?

--

João Martins (JoaoBR)

Infomatik Development Team
http://wipserver.matik.com.br