[kde-freebsd] kde4 upgrade

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Wed Jul 4 20:40:48 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-04 05:40, joaoBR wrote:
> Em Tue, 3 Jul 2012 13:52:58 +0200
> Alberto Villa <avilla at FreeBSD.org> escreveu:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 1:11 PM, joaoBR <joao at matik.com.br> wrote:
>> > advice for weak hearts and ego-defenders :) please do not read it,
>> > or at least do not answer ... nothing personal here, only facts
>> and
>> > some fucked up computer desktops
>>
>> I'm sorry Joao, I usually try to give my support, but you didn't
>> describe any real issue here, unless we consider your "FreeBSD just
>> burned my hair"-like moan like a bug report. If you describe them in
>> details (i.e., telling *how* exactly stuff is horribly failing) then
>> I'll be happy to help you, especially if it turns into a chance to
>> improve KDE SC upgrade procedure.
>>
>> Nonetheless, so far you're the only one reporting such a
>> catastrophic
>> failure.
>>
>> I hope we can turn this flamish thread into an useful one, and you
>> can
>> get your KDE desktop working.
>
> ok, but first I like to say that my message was not a flame neither
> any
> personal attack, simply it expressed my state of mind because of my
> desktop is not working
>
> then lets go in parts
>
> main issue is, portupgrade -a[fOkrR] does not work and fails in ANY
> case
>
> this might not be a kde issue because most kde ports do compile fine,
> but fail to install or configure correctly because of other issues
>
> the reason I copied the maintainers of portmaster and portupgrade,
> but
> seems their position is that it has nothing to do with them
>
> what then brings us back to kde, my question, the install/upgrade
> script, is it kde, ports or who looks at this?
>
> for example, at this moment, since the last gstreamer update the
> gstreamer-plugins do not compile anymore, I got some help from the
> maintainer but now it fails somewhere else, this cause failures in
> some other ports
>
> to have a base, I am running 9-STABLE i386 on my machines
>
> look into the attached compiler output and follow what happens
>
> it is not a singular example, it is a standard problem which happens
> ALWAYS since ever, whatsoever, small ports with a couple of
> dependencies are easily solved, in kde4, as a dependency-monster it
> has
> fatal consequences
>
> resuming
>
> upgrading a port
> process checks dependencies for configuring and compiling
> if complete it starts compiling
> after successful compiling it goes to install and checks AGAIN for
> install dependencies
> if requirements not fulfilled it tries to install them, even if it IS
> already installed
> => problem now is, the script does not detect if a new install or an
> upgrade is necessary
> [...]

Well, the one example you include is a busted port:

===>   libkonq-4.8.4 is already installed
       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
       by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of x11/libkonq
       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
       in your environment or the "make install" command line.

You simply need to deinstall and reinstall that one as it is not
installed fully/correctly.

portmaster -f libkonq

That doesn't seem that big of a deal and should cover a portion of your
issues... what's next?

Rusty