[kde-freebsd] MySQL55 (Akonadi) bites other ports

tom at diogunix.com tom at diogunix.com
Sun Jan 29 04:56:28 UTC 2012

> > I recently stumbled across a problem with MySQL Workbench, which
> > doesn't compile the port if MySQL 55 is installed.
> >
> > As MySQL 55 gets installed with the installation of KDE, I jsut had no
> > other quick "solution" but to remove MySQL 55 though it's needed for
> > Akonadi and the PIM programs.
> >
> > Of course I now can't use KMail and the other Akonadi dependent
> > software.
> >
> > The proper solution was (of course) to make the Workbench port build
> > with MySQL 55. I even tried to contact the MySQl internals list to get
> > information on how to make that happen. Unfortunately, I did not get
> > even one single reply.
> >
> > So, my proposal was, to just modify the KDE port and ask the user on
> > whether to build KDE/Akonadi with MySQL 5.5 oder with MySQL 5.5.
>
> KDE ports don't force your to use mysql 5.5, this is the default version
> provided by the ports system. You probably want to put WITH_MYSQL_VER=51
> in your /etc/make.conf and rebuild dependent ports.

Good point !

May I assume Akonadi will work with MySQL 5.1 as well as with MySQL 5.5 ?
Then I'll try that to get my Desktop fully functional again :-)

Though, there's the question left on how new installations of KDE could be
made easier as probably most people would run into the same issue. That's
why I found it better if people get asked on which MySQL version they want

Tom