[kde-freebsd] phonon, xine, what to do...

Olivier Smedts olivier at gid0.org
Tue Feb 28 14:19:29 UTC 2012

2012/2/28 Raphael Kubo da Costa <rakuco at freebsd.org>:
> Olivier Smedts <olivier at gid0.org> writes:
>
>> I've been a happy user of phonon-xine and libxine for quite some time,
>> but with the update of libxine to 1.2.1, phonon-xine refuses to
>> compile :
>>         ===>>> This port is marked BROKEN
>>         ===>>> deprecated upstream; refuses to build with libxine 1.2.x
>>
>> So, what is recommended for now, and what will be recommended for KDE
>> 4.8 (if different) ? Every time I try phonon-vlc it crashes (sorry for
>> the lack of details, if you want more I'll need to test again) and I'd
>> like to avoid gstreamer and its plugins, if possible.
>
> The two backends supported and actively developed upstream are
> phonon-vlc and phonon-gstreamer. phonon-xine has not been updated or
> received bug fixes for ages.

On the 2011/10/13, avilla said about the phonon xine backend "we're
not going to remove it, don't worry. ;)". I'm not blaming anyone, I
was just surprised to see the phonon-xine backend flagged BROKEN so
soon after.

> If phonon-vlc crashes for you, I suggest building it with debug symbols
> and reporting the crash in bugs.kde.org, and/or giving phonon-gstreamer
> a try.

I just wonder why it doesn't crash for others... the problem seems to
be specific to the FreeBSD vlc port, or it depends on the OPTIONS I
(un)selected.

With an up-to-date multimedia/vlc and multimedia/phonon-vlc, when
setting the vlc backend under kde multimedia settings, phonon says the
vlc backend can't be initialized. The reason is that it tries to use
an unsupported vlc argument : '--no-one-instance'.

>From my ~/.xsession-errors :
vlc: unknown option or missing mandatory argument `--no-one-instance'
Try `vlc --help' for more information.
PHONON-VLC ESC[07;31m[FATAL__]ESC[00;39m libVLC:
PHONON-VLC ESC[07;31m[FATAL__]ESC[00;39m Phonon::VLC::vlcInit: Failed
to initialize VLC

I patched phonon-backend-vlc-0.4.1/vlc/libvlc.cpp to not add this
argument (which doesn't seem to be used under Mac OS X), reinstalled
the phonon-vlc port, and now it's better. At least I can play audio
and video files under Dolphin's preview, and amarok does not crash at
startup but I've got a nearly 2s delay when stopping playback with the
fade out option (but there's no volume decrease) and also when pausing
and seeking. I will miss phonon-xine :) RIP.

>> What about WITH_QT_PHONON, is it still deprecated for KDE4 users ?
>
> Yes, Qt's copy of phonon has not been updated for years.

Here's my vlc options file for the record, maybe the lack of
"--no-one-instance" argument depends on one of these options :
# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# No user-servicable parts inside!
# Options for vlc-1.1.11_3,3
_OPTIONS_READ=vlc-1.1.11_3,3
WITH_A52=true
WITH_AALIB=true
WITHOUT_ASS=true
WITHOUT_AVAHI=true
WITHOUT_CACA=true
WITHOUT_DBUS=true
WITHOUT_DIRAC=true
WITH_DTS=true
WITH_DVB=true
WITH_DVDREAD=true
WITH_DVDNAV=true
WITH_FAAD=true
WITH_FLAC=true
WITHOUT_FLUID=true
WITHOUT_FRIBIDI=true
WITHOUT_GGI=true
WITH_GLX=true
WITHOUT_GNOMEVFS=true
WITHOUT_GNUTLS=true
WITHOUT_GOOM=true
WITH_HTTPD=true
WITHOUT_JACK=true
WITH_LIVEMEDIA=true
WITHOUT_LUA=true
WITH_MAD=true
WITH_MATROSKA=true
WITHOUT_MODPLUG=true
WITH_MPEG2=true
WITHOUT_MTP=true
WITHOUT_MUSEPACK=true
WITH_NCURSES=true
WITH_NLS=true
WITHOUT_NOTIFY=true
WITH_OCFLAGS=true
WITH_OGG=true
WITH_OPENGL=true
WITHOUT_PLUGIN=true
WITH_PNG=true
WITHOUT_PORTAUDIO=true
WITHOUT_PROJM=true
WITHOUT_PULSE=true
WITH_QT4=true
WITH_REALAUDIO=true
WITHOUT_REMOTEOSD=true
WITHOUT_RUNROOT=true
WITHOUT_SAMBA=true
WITHOUT_SCHROED=true
WITH_SDL=true
WITHOUT_SHOUT=true
WITHOUT_SKINS=true
WITH_STREAM=true
WITH_SPEEX=true
WITHOUT_SQLITE=true
WITHOUT_SVG=true
WITHOUT_SVGALIB=true
WITH_TAGLIB=true
WITH_THEORA=true
WITHOUT_TREMOR=true
WITHOUT_TWOLAME=true
WITHOUT_UPNP=true
WITH_V4L=true
WITHOUT_VAAPI=true
WITH_VCD=true
WITH_VORBIS=true
WITH_X264=true
WITH_XCB=true
WITHOUT_XOSD=true
WITH_XVIDEO=true
WITHOUT_ZVBI=true

Cheers

--
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."