[kde-freebsd] [SVN Commit] branches/kde-4.9/KDE/deskutils/kdepim4

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 22 18:37:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Raphael Kubo da Costa
<rakuco at freebsd.org> wrote:
> I'd argue that we only do that when the dependencies are necessary.
> libinotify looks like something that should have been part of the
> kernel, not in a separate library

Actually, we add all required and optional dependencies (and make them
OPTIONal when they are intrusive, which is not the case of libinotify
- 33 kB and no dependencies), if they are of any use for the port.
Plus, libinotify is just a small wrapper around kqueue, which is in
the kernel.

> all ports which use it need to
> patch sources because inotify doesn't require any additional libraries
> on Linux, and I think this is very suboptimal.

Unless we import libinotify into the kernel (unlikely to happen) this
is how we do it. It is not the only case of patching to improve
compatibility with Linux. An udev/devd wrapper would just be the same.
Anyway, we should patch CMakeLists.txt to remove the detection of
inotify.h, so...
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla