[kde-freebsd] [CFT] KDE and KDE PIM 4.7.1

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 18 12:54:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Oliver Heesakkers
<kdefreebsd at heesakkers.info> wrote:
>> what do you mean with "corrupted"?
>
> I made a picture, but I see you already committed a fix, well here's the
> picture anyway:
> http://heesakkers.info/showandtell/kde4config.gif

ok, that's the same picture i got on irc by loox. both of you have an
old dialog(1) version, that was probably the problem

> Information for raptor-1.4.21_1:
>
> Comment:
> RDF Parser Toolkit for Redland
>
> Required by:
> kdenetwork-4.7.1
> kwebkitpart-1.1.1
> libktorrent-1.1.2
> libreoffice-3.4.3_1
> opera-11.51
> opera-linuxplugins-11.51
> subtitlecomposer-0.5.3_3

this looks very strange. none of those applications depends on raptor.
i suspect your dependencies were already corrupted before. raptor (now
raptor2) is a build dependency of soprano, which is (as a dependency
of kdelibs) an indirect run dependency of those applications. but
raptor shouldn't be there, really

> Rebuild went fine. More devices show up, some devices disappear after
> switching backends (don't remember which ones). In the end only my three HDA
> Realtek ALC888 devices remain and one device named "default"
> The device named "default" has a tendency to dis- and reappear. All devices
> work when "Test"ed. I cannot tell a difference between backends. Moving
> GStreamer to the top keeps producing crashes (when clicking apply).

just as loox confirmed. this probably means that the patch i applied
is not responsible for this, but the vlc backend is, i think

> Now and again I'll get a notification that "The playbackdevice HDA Realtek
> ALC888 PCM #0 Analog (pcm) is not functioning. Falling back to default"
> Note that I can succesfully "Test" that device in systemsettings immediately
> after with no problem. PCM #0 is at the top of the list, default at the
> bottom.

this is expected, and completely ok. the other devices you can see
without the phonon patch are actually unusable, thus phonon falls back
to the working "default" one. the phonon patch is supposed to disable
those useless devices and keep phonon from notifying the issue

>> do you have x11/kde4 still installed? it should depend on them. maybe
>> the dependencies were really corrupted by those build problems
>
> You're right.
> Looking back in  the script-output, when kalzium failed for the first time,
> portmaster reported:
> ===>>> make failed for science/kalzium
> ===>>> Aborting update
> ===>>> Update for science/kalzium failed
> ===>>> Aborting update
> ===>>> Update for misc/kdeedu4 failed
> ===>>> Aborting update
> ===>>> Update for x11/kde4 failed
> ===>>> Aborting update
>
> Of course it also reported how I should restart, but I ignored that and simply
> used portmaster -a, that's probably why/where it went wrong.

fine, another mystery is solved :)

> I also had a text-line ("new activity") to the right of the icon, which made
> it quite prominent. Moving it does help, I'd prefer that over the plasma-
> applet that seems a bit buggy and has an unprofessional name.

that's the activity name. with kde 4.7 they're trying to make
activities more exposed (and i agree with that, as i find them a great
improvement in system usability), that's why they exposed the cashew a
bit more
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla