[kde-freebsd] [CFT] KDE and KDE PIM 4.7.1

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 16 19:50:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Oliver Heesakkers
<kdefreebsd at heesakkers.info> wrote:
> First the dots at the end of the description of the options in x11/kde4
> corrupted the dialog.

what do you mean with "corrupted"?

> While building dbus-qt4:
> Tried dbus-qt4 again, which now completes without error, Was this one
> of those deinstall first, then build the new one things?

yes, we already got a report of this (and we were able to reproduce
it). it revealed a problem with all qt4 ports which was never
triggered so far. we're working on a solution

> - ortp was in the way of linphone

correct. i'll add it to UPDATING, and make it optional

> - science/kalzium required USE_GCC= 4.5 to succesfully complete (I used
> 4.5, since that's what I have installed):

strange. i'll check (i don't have area51 at the moment)

> # portmaster --check-depends
> Reports that there is no installed version for textproc/raptor
> # portmaster textproc/raptor
> # portmaster --check-depends
> Now finishes without adjustments

can you show the output of pkg_info raptor-1\*, please?

> I don't use a stopwatch for boot, but once the desktop appears it does
> appear snappier.

we also backported a patch which should make kwin quite faster

> I picked VLC as the default phonon backend during build. When I move
> GStreamer up in rank it crashes systemsettings:
> Later I found one notification that said something like "The
> playbackdevice dummy is not functioning. Falling back to ." (in Dutch).
> Did not notice any difference in functioning.

i'll test it intensively. meanwhile, can you remove
multimedia/phonon/files, rebuild it, and have some more tests?

> Other than that kdepim 4.7.1 does feel snappier than 4.6.0.
> Kmail (running inside kontact) still takes 50 seconds to display the
> settings, but when I close and retry immediately, I can get that down
> to under 10 seconds.

good to know, anyway we're going to hold the new kdepim back for a while

> misc/kdeutils4 was not installed in the upgrade-procedure, added that
> after I couldn't find kcalc. I did some checking and found misc/kdeedu4
> and x11-themes/kde4-wallpapers missing as well.
> Note that this may be due to the failures and restarts, I know I had
> the kdeutils4 config menu presented to me at the first portmaster -a.

do you have x11/kde4 still installed? it should depend on them. maybe
the dependencies were really corrupted by those build problems

> Wow, they made that cashew-thing bigger and more prominent, I've
> installed the "I HATE the cashew"-plasma-applet now, maybe this should
> get a FreeBSD port.

they just moved it a bit, you can move it in the corner to make it
look the same. anyway, i think you can made a port of it quite easily,
just use some other plasma-applet-* port as a base

> That's it so far!

thank you very much for all this valuable information!
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla