[kde-freebsd] Re: KDE 4.6.0

Alberto Villa avilla at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 7 17:11:38 CET 2011

On Monday 07 March 2011 17:01:10 Jerry wrote:
> HAL is not developed any more. HAL has been officially deprecated by
> its own developers in favor of upower, udisks, etc. Gnome has already
> removed all HAL dependencies. HAL might still work, but it is
> effectively dead.

but it still works. better than nothing

> The sooner the FreeBSD team remove all traces of HAL the better.
> Instead of wasting time trying to keep HAL lively, their time would be
> better spend working on its replacement as other distros have;
> preferably using a framework that is consistent with what others are
> doing so as to insure a more uniform configuration and functionality.

we're already working on writing a devd backend for solid. of course, if
someone wants to help, he will be very welcome (doing it while
maintaining all the kde ports is a bit... complex)
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

Television is now so desperately hungry for material
that it is scraping the top of the barrel.
		-- Gore Vidal