[kde-freebsd] Re: KDE 4.6.0

Jerry kde-freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Mon Mar 7 17:01:10 CET 2011

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:33:28 +0100
Alberto Villa <avilla at freebsd.org> articulated:

> On Monday 07 March 2011 16:20:31 Olivier Smedts wrote:
> > The only thing I had to do was to edit
> > "/usr/local/kde4/etc/rc.d/kdm4" in order to remove the recently
> > introduced hal-waiting loop. I don't use hal...
>
> oh... i'll rework it then!
> is kde working decently without hal?

HAL is not developed any more. HAL has been officially deprecated by
its own developers in favor of upower, udisks, etc. Gnome has already
removed all HAL dependencies. HAL might still work, but it is
effectively dead.

The sooner the FreeBSD team remove all traces of HAL the better.
Instead of wasting time trying to keep HAL lively, their time would be
better spend working on its replacement as other distros have;
preferably using a framework that is consistent with what others are
doing so as to insure a more uniform configuration and functionality.

--
Jerry ✌
KDE-FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net