[kde-freebsd] Re: Call for test: KDE PIM 4.6.0

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Sat Jun 18 13:02:35 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 15 June 2011 11:06:09 Oliver Heesakkers wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever started a fork of kmail for
> the sake 'light'-ness?

...and freedom from akonadi? There seems to be some sort of "let's
have a database or nine" theme going with KDE4. I have to include a
shutdown script for my session that finds akonadiserver's PID, calls
akonadictl shutdown and waits for it to die when I log out or my
rc.shutdown times out on unkillable processes (NewNFS mounted /home,
if that makes a difference). Add to that the upgrade from 4.6.2 to
4.6.3 [1] broke the thing completely and required me to find akonadirc
and mess with it before it would deign to allow kmail to run (bit of a
brown trousers moment there as it has about five years of archives and
details of an in-progress insurace claim) and it becomes apparent that
the thing is, to put it bluntly, a menace.

What is the rationale behind akonadi, anyway? If it's this "semantic
desktop" stuff, I don't want it. I've turned Nepomuk firmly off. I
know where my files are and what's in them without having half my CPU
time tied up, my network flooded and my disks thrashed indexing them,
not to mention the grief getting it to actually work in the first
place. This /home mount has crossed many a major version boundary, so
it's quite well endowed with files.

Failing that, recommendations for a databaseless graphical mail client
that can stick mailing list posts in a directory on receipt, does not
honour receipt requests and web beacons, displays plain text only when
I tell it to, works with SSL/TLS/MSA, has a working GnuPG interface
and allows me to set headers like X-Face?

[1] Still on 4.6.3. I've work to do [2] and my mail client breaking
sort of stymies that idea for a while. Claws isn't a replacement and I
don't trust Thunderbird.

[2] While this all seems to come off as a rant, there is still the
little angelic me on my shoulder reminding me that this is all a
volunteer effort and I really should shut my trap. Then there's a
beastie on the other one reminding me how much hair I have left and
it's only my own stubborn resistance of Cupertino, Redmond and the
thought of someone else appointing themselves as my master that is
making it come out in clumps ;o)
--
Matt Dawson
MTD15-RIPE