[kde-freebsd] Re: Call for test: KDE PIM 4.6.0

Oliver Heesakkers kdefreebsd at heesakkers.info
Wed Jun 15 12:06:09 CEST 2011

Op dinsdag 14 juni 2011 12:16:15 schreef Alberto Villa:
> While KDE SC 4.6.4 makes his debut in the ports tree, we decided not to
> push KDE PIM 4.6.0, and keep the stable 4.4.11.1 a little longer.
> Nonetheless, we encourage you all brave people (well, it’s stable
> software, you don’t really need to be brave… but, as a FreeBSD user,
> you surely are) to install 4.6.0 from area51 -
> http://freebsd.kde.org/area51.php - and report your experience, and
> maybe we’ll eventually gain the assurance that it’s ready for our
> worldwide userbase.
> C’mon!

The whole experience feels quite buggy to me.

On  first launch of Kontact a migration-tool was presented, warning of
a long conversion progress, but whas done in seconds.

After startup about half of my mailfolders were not repopulated
automatically, I had to right-click and update (F5) those manually, it
looks like that this triggered the actual migration processes.

The folder-list has the standard inbox and outbox. They are translated
automatically into Dutch: "postvak-in" and "postvak-uit". These
standard folders always used to be at the top of the folder-list, but
are now mixed in with the rest, sorted alphabetically. Since the sort
isn't natural and these names are lowercase among my personal folders
all starting with a capital letter, the standard folders are now right
at the bottom of the folderlist. I would rather have them at the top
where they've always been.

Also mail sent out moves through "postvak-uit" but incoming mail lands
in the old "inbox" rather than "postvak in".

Moving all the mails present (5600) in inbox to the new "postvak-in"
pushes kontact to 96% CPU time, the process does not seem to end even
though all mail is visibly present in the new "postvak-in". After I
forced a restart all the mail is where I wanted it to be.

Requesting the settings dialog in the overview section pushes CPU to
100%, never showing any results (I broke it off after a few minutes).
Requesting the settings for kmail also takes 55 seconds to appear.

Every start it will display two or three of these error messages
through the tray-app: IMAP-account: Could not create collection (there
is only one account named "IMAP-account")

A minor gripe to close off.
After migration some messages are incorrectly marked unread. Not a big
deal ofcourse but it did show me that kmail now exhibits behaviour I've
seen before from Akregator: You filter on unread messages and as soon
as you click the unread message it dissapears from the email-list.
Logically perhaps correct, but I liked the old behaviour better where
messages would remain displayed until I change folder or filter
options.

Replying to this mail, I notice all special characters in the original
message are wrongly displayed. The original message claims to be utf-8
and I've forced utf-8 to be the charset for every outgoing mail in the
composer settings. (retain original charset is also switched on in that
tab)

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever started a fork of kmail for the
sake 'light'-ness?