[kde-freebsd] Re: KDE3 and Qt3 are not maintained anymore

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:04:53 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:

> Max Brazhnikov <makc at issp.ac.ru> wrote:
> >
> > The KDE FreeBSD team has officially dropped support for Qt3/KDE3
> > ports. We are not going to remove them in the near future, so
> > you can continue to use them.  But we strongly recommend you to
> > consider alternative solutions.
>
> While I can understand that KDE3 is not developed further, I'm unhappy
> to read that the support for the Qt3/KDE3 ports is dropped; I don't
> expect bugs fixed in Qt3/KDE3 anymore, but at least the ports should be
> able to compile and maybe adopted to changes in ports they depend on.
>
> KDE4 is in no way an alternative for smaller netbooks (like EeePC),
> maybe not even for real workstations.

KDE4, using the plasma-netbook shell, works beautifully on a 10.1" Asus
eeePC 1005HA (Atom CPU, Intel graphics, 1 GB RAM).  It's replaced my 15"
laptop completely at work, and almost replaced my desktop at home due to the
portability.

It even runs acceptably well on an original Asus eeePC 701 with only 256 (or
512?) MB of RAM and a Celeron CPU, although an upgrade to X or the Intel
graphics driver caused it to start flickering when opening, closing, or
moving windows.  Last time I tried it was with KDE 4.2 or 4.3.  Shortly
thereafter I got the 1005 above.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com