[kde-freebsd] Re: KDE3 and Qt3 are not maintained anymore

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 18:05:29 CEST 2011

Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> writes:

> Max Brazhnikov <makc at issp.ac.ru> wrote:
>>
>> The KDE FreeBSD team has officially dropped support for Qt3/KDE3
>> ports. We are not going to remove them in the near future, so
>> you can continue to use them.  But we strongly recommend you to
>> consider alternative solutions.
>
> While I can understand that KDE3 is not developed further, I'm unhappy
> to read that the support for the Qt3/KDE3 ports is dropped; I don't
> expect bugs fixed in Qt3/KDE3 anymore

It's not that Qt3/KDE3 ports are being removed from the ports tree; the
KDE on FreeBSD team is just officially stating that further work on
maintaining these ports is not coming from us: nobody in the team has
worked on or used Qt3+KDE3 for quite some time, so we prefer to focus
our efforts on the current upstream versions.

> but at least the ports should be able to compile and maybe adopted to
> changes in ports they depend on.

I think this has been done sort of automatically lately; when someone
updates a port which has had its soversion the dependent ports are
usually adjusted as well.